Watch NT Wright talk about how to read the Bible. Great Video.
As much as I enjoy many of the modern mainstream Christian bands/artists, I must admit I’m often left wanting something more authentic, stripped down, and real.
With that said I check out the bands below. For me, they have been the treasures I’ve found along the way.
The Welcome Wagon
King’s Kaleidoscope (Music available for free from Mars Hill Seattle)
Kenosis (Music available for free from Mars Hill Seattle)
1. Propitiation: Jesus died and took God’s wrath stored up for us because of our sin.
2. Expiation: Jesus died to cleanse us.
3. Sacrifice: Jesus died as our sacrifice for sin before God.
4. Victor: Jesus died to crush our enemies.
5. Redemption: Jesus died for our freedom.
6. Justification: Jesus died to forgive us.
7. Ransom: Jesus died to pay our debt and free us the enslavement of sin.
8. Example: Jesus died as the example of God’s wondrous love.
9. Reconciliation: Jesus died to restore the relationship between God and man becoming our mediator.
10. Revelation: Jesus died to reveal God.
* This was all adapted from Mark Driscoll’s Sermon series,Christ and the Cross, and Doctrine: What Christians should believe.
Religion: Man pursues “god.”
Christianity: God pursues man.
Religion: Man tries to appease “god” by doing good.
Christianity: God sacrifices himself for man, to reconcile the relationship, because man is sinful.
Religion: If man works hard enough he might be able to reach salvation/nirvana.
Christianity: Man is hopelessly lost and a slave to sin. Only by God’s grace through faith can one be saved.
Religion: Truth is a path, lifestyle, doctrine, or teaching.
Christianity: Truth is Jesus.
Religion: Man, by his own will, reforms his life.
Christianity: God frees, and transforms man, empowering man with his Spirit so that man can lead a new life.
Religion: God is needy, wrathful, or indifferent toward creation
Christianity: God is love, because God is triune. Love only exist in community, and since God is self-existent and eternal he was love before creation, nor did he need creation to love.
Christianity can be twisted and perverted in any of these areas reducing it to just other religion that controlled by the hand of man.
However, when we understand and believe the *Gospel of Jesus it is the power of God to save, transform, and breathe life into our broken world.
*The Gospel of Jesus is the good news that says man is hopelessly lost and enslaved to the things of this world. But God in his great love pursues man, and made himself the substitute for the corruption and punishment our sin created, dying on the cross, and rising again the third day welcoming us to live under his rule as newly freed and redeemed slaves.